Do you have a cause, charity or non-profit you feel deserves more visibility? Tell us why in the comments of this page – and do include any relevant links (their site, blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Comments with many links do go into moderation but we will rescue them!
Participants in our contest are encouraged to write about and submit entry posts about any of these or their own favorites. Posts may be about a specific solution or the issue in general and link to many solution providers.
These posts will be judged and count towards the total score necessary to win the cash prizes. Although this contest is long over, this page is regularly updated with what Americans need to know. I encourage you to read it or at least watch the videos.
Families are being torn apart by a corrupt system that incentizes removing children and threatens case workers with job loss if they try to actually help families. Imagine how YOU would feel if they took YOUR child away from you. Get informed. Speak out. Find out more:
Homeless Shelters and Other Homeless Assistance Programs
The enormity of the homeless problem is impossible to measure because most people hide their situations even from their closest friends and family. The number of people who are hungry, homeless, or without utilities will continue to worsen as the dollar declines. Too many assume it could never happen to them. They assume wrongly.
Cities often respond to homelessness by making it illegal.
Over 50 cities have criminalized homelessness by making feeding
them or letting them camp out or live in their cars illegal.
“Bans on feeding and camping often leave people with nowhere to eat or
sleep because many cities lack emergency food services and shelters.”
If you know of people who are making sure others are not going hungry and without shelter, please leave a comment and links to their information so we can add them here – or better yet – get them added to the Homeless Shelter Directories below.
- Homeless Shelter Directory
- International Listings of Homeless Shelters
- Shelter Listings
- Educate yourself:
- Why You Don’t Realize How Many Homeless There Are: Why The Homeless Hide on Purpose
- CNN: Working moms living in cars with dogs, cats, kids
- Some Reasons People Become Homeless
- Reasons why homeless do not use shelters
- What I Learned While Being Homeless
- How to Solve the Homeless Issue
- What to Buy Homeless for Survival and to Escape Homelessness
- What we can do immediately:
- In Santa Barbara, California, New Beginnings Counseling Center negotiated with police to let them set up fenced parking areas for the homeless because living in your car is ILLEGAL there (and many other places).
- We need to provide safe places for homeless people to camp, shower, park, work, grow food. During the depression counties had “Poor Farms” and we need to open them again NOW.
- If you won’t take someone in at least buy them some food.
- If they have a job and a way to get to a gym, buy them a membership so they can shower regularly. Let them know that truck stops and KOA camps sell showers.
- If they have skills, hire them when you can.
Federal Judge William H. Yohn Jr. released a 56-page opinion blocking
Mayor Michael Nutter’s ban on feeding the homeless in public spaces
but within hours of Yohn’s preliminary injunction on Friday, Nutter’s administration
filed notice of appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Innocents in Prison
Our American prisons are full of innocent people and political prisoners. America has imprisoned more citizens than any other country in the world! If we don’t want to be next we need to get these people released. One place to see the evidence and act is The Innocence Project.
- “Amnesty International considers Leonard Peltier to be a political prisoner… Amnesty International believes that Leonard Peltier should be immediately and unconditionally released.”
- Example of Religious Persecution providing insight into how prisoners are used to generate income for others (legalized slave labor).
MUST READ >> what is wrong with the U.S. legal system and how it could be reformed to work better: The Law Enforcement Growth Industry by George Gordon
“Human rights organizations, as well as political and social ones, are condemning what they are calling a new form of inhumane exploitation in the United States, where they say a prison population of up to 2 million – mostly Black and Hispanic – are working for various industries for a pittance. For the tycoons who have invested in the prison industry, it has been like finding a pot of gold. They don’t have to worry about strikes or paying unemployment insurance, vacations or comp time. All of their workers are full-time, and never arrive late or are absent because of family problems; moreover, if they don’t like the pay of 25 cents an hour and refuse to work, they are locked up in isolation cells.”
“According to the Left Business Observer, the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags, and canteens. Along with war supplies, prison workers supply 98% of the entire market for equipment assembly services; 93% of paints and paintbrushes; 92% of stove assembly; 46% of body armor; 36% of home appliances; 30% of headphones/microphones/speakers; and 21% of office furniture. Airplane parts, medical supplies, and much more: prisoners are even raising seeing-eye dogs for blind people.”
We have slaves in America today. Anyone you can arrest for anything can become cheap labor for the military-industrial complex and multi-national corporations.
Why You Should NEVER Call 911
There are no circumstances where I would ever call police for help. It is not their job to help you. Their job is to protect the state. What is likely to happen is for you to become their victim. This video is self-explanatory:
Wondering what happened in that case? The same thing that always happens: nothing much. No guilt was found and no changes in how people are treated have been made. In her case, mediators did at least give her a financial settlement. Her share was $100,000. But no amount would ever take away the trauma of her treatment at the hands of those who do not protect or serve us.
What if a minor who is a violinist honor student is beaten by officers? Would a jury find them guilty?
Apparently not. While a jury awarded him damages, they did not find this to be excessive force. What would be excessive force to them? Police supporters felt they did nothing wrong.
This is the core of the issue: that people feel police are justified no matter what they do to us. I wonder if people who feel that way would feel differently if it happened to them.
Many people who call 911 end up critically injured or dead:
- Man Calls 911 During Manhunt; Police Shoot Him Instead of Suspect
- Man Calls 911 to Report a Burglary; Police Shoot Him Instead of Burglar
- Neighbor Calls 911; Police Go to Wrong House and Shoot Owner and Dog
Swat Teams Raiding Homes and Businesses
- SWAT Team Raids Ohio Co-op
- Police Raid Rawesome Foods, Dump Raw Milk
- Police Destroy Organic Farm in Massive SWAT Team Raid
- Right to Food.org
- Food Rights Network
- Real Food Rights
- Food Rights Alliance (Canada)
- The Bovine (Canada)
- Action Aid Food Rights
- Exceptional information on Hunger in America at FeedingAmerica (@FeedingAmerica on Twitter) – special thanks to North Texas Food Bank for this addition. This site includes statistics (1 in 6 Americans go without food at times already) and a hunger map that shows how many in every U.S. County don’t have enough to eat and what it would cost to feed them.
- WorldHunger.org Hunger in America: 2012 United States Hunger and Poverty Facts
- CityHarvest.org (@City_Harvest on Twitter)
- West Texas Food Bank
- North Texas Food Bank (@ntfb on Twitter) – Regular donation page ~ PayPal donation page
- Open Door Experience (the one in the video above) ~ Credit card donation page
- Food Bank of Central New York ~ Click Donate above the video for their PayPal donation page
- Want your favorite food bank included here? Leave me a link in the comments and I’ll move it up into this list
Stop Debtor’s Prisons
Most Americans believed that debtor’s prison – putting someone in jail who could not pay their debts – were made illegal decades ago. Collection agencies and government programs desperate for money have found a way to make an end run around imprisoning people for the debt itself and have them thrown in jail for “contempt of court” for failure to pay fees or fines.
- Daily Kos: Being Poor is becoming a Criminal offense (Updated July 7, 2012)
- ACLU: In For a Penny: The Rise of America’s New Debtors’ Prisons
Think it couldn’t happen to you? What about a medical emergency bill you don’t pay? l Think again:
How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn’t pay a medical bill — one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn’t owe. “She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn’t have to pay it,” The Associated Press reports. “But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs.”
Stop Asset Forfeiture
Across America (and probably elsewhere around the world) people are having their cash, vehicles and assets seized without being charged with any wrongdoing. Unless they have the resources to wage a protracted legal battle they never get them back. As the size of law enforcement and government grows and tax revenues shrink due to the economy, taking people’s property to pay salaries and cover overhead is getting more common and the methods used are more aggressive. This is unconstitutional and just plain theft.
I’m sure you have seen all those auctions promising vehicles and real estate for pennies on the dollar. That property was STOLEN from your fellow humanity. Almost none of it is actually taken from anyone doing anything illegal. You and yours are likely to be next if we don’t put an end to this! Support these organizations working to reform asset forfeiture:
- Americans for Forfeiture Reform
- Downsize DC: End Asset Forfeiture
- ISIL.org: THE LOOTING OF AMERICA ~ How over 200 Civil Asset Forfeiture Laws Enable Police to Confiscate Your Home, Bank Accounts & Business Without Trial
Stop Arcane Foreclosures
Did you know that even if your house or land is totally paid for that it can be taken away from you and auctioned off? Many are losing their homes because they could not pay a utility bill or because of fines, fees, interest and penalties tacked onto small debts.
- Read their stories and see a video about cities intentionally driving utility bills through the roof to seize property.
- The Big Business Wall Street Won’t Discuss
- VIDEO: Land Grab in America
Governments are taking away our rights to water – something we MUST HAVE to survive:
- Man Jailed For Collecting Rainwater Begins Sentence
- Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water
Animal Rescues and Causes
- NetPosse / Stolen Horse International (SHI) – To a horse lover, horses are family – not livestock – and their greatest fear is their horse being stolen. Law enforcement was rarely helpful and the odds of recovery dismal – until Debi Metcalfe took what she learned in recovering her own stolen horse and turned it into an organization that actually recovers stolen horses, saddles, trailers and tack. Every horse lover needs to join NetPosse / Stolen Horse International (SHI) and learn what to do NOW to make sure if a thief hits them they know what to do. They have a huge network that immediately spreads the word the minute a theft report is filed. You can help spread the word online and off and share their Stolen Horse International Facebook alerts. They need volunteers and donations or you can support them by buying products from the new Netposse Store. [Note: Although they sell microchips and scanners, I do NOT recommend chipping any animal for privacy and health reasons. Chips do NOT deter theft. FreezeMarking is the best option. ~Gail~]
- Earth Day ~ While Earth Day is officially April 22, every day needs to be earth day.
While I know that many have had bad experiences with organized religion and churches and I respect each person’s beliefs, many of us have personal relationships with Jesus and believe following His example is the most important thing in our lives. Even some who have not decided to follow Him ARE following His example by supporting what He would have us do.
I put Jesus first in my life, but knowing that many aren’t ready to think about that just yet, He is not first on this page. Regardless of your own beliefs today, I encourage you to be tolerant of others and care as much about all people as you do for yourself. Remember that this life is short and we are not promised tomorrow, so you may want to make considering The Case for Christ a priority in your own life. ~ Gail ~