Do you have a cause, charity or non-profit you feel deserves more visibility? Tell us why in the comments of this page – and do include any relevant links (their site, blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Comments with many links do go into moderation but we will rescue them!
Participants in our contest are encouraged to write about and submit entry posts about any of these or their own favorites. Posts may be about a specific solution or the issue in general and link to many solution providers.
These posts will be judged and count towards the total score necessary to win the cash prizes.
Families are being torn apart by a corrupt system that incentizes removing children and threatens case workers with job loss if they try to actually help families. Imagine how YOU would feel if they took YOUR child away from you. Get informed. Speak out. Find out more:
Homeless Shelters and Other Homeless Assistance Programs
The enormity of the homeless problem is impossible to measure because most people hide their situations even from their closest friends and family. The number of people who are hungry, homeless, or without utilities will continue to worsen as the dollar declines. Too many assume it could never happen to them. They assume wrongly.
Cities often respond to homelessness by making it illegal.
Over 50 cities have criminalized homelessness by making feeding
them or letting them camp out or live in their cars illegal.
“Bans on feeding and camping often leave people with nowhere to eat or
sleep because many cities lack emergency food services and shelters.”
If you know of people who are making sure others are not going hungry and without shelter, please leave a comment and links to their information so we can add them here – or better yet – get them added to the Homeless Shelter Directories below.
- Homeless Shelter Directory
- International Listings of Homeless Shelters
- Shelter Listings
- Educate yourself:
- Why You Don’t Realize How Many Homeless There Are: Why The Homeless Hide on Purpose
- CNN: Working moms living in cars with dogs, cats, kids
- Some Reasons People Become Homeless
- Reasons why homeless do not use shelters
- What I Learned While Being Homeless
- How to Solve the Homeless Issue
- What to Buy Homeless for Survival and to Escape Homelessness
- What we can do immediately:
- In Santa Barbara, California, New Beginnings Counseling Center negotiated with police to let them set up fenced parking areas for the homeless because living in your car is ILLEGAL there (and many other places).
- We need to provide safe places for homeless people to camp, shower, park, work, grow food. During the depression counties had “Poor Farms” and we need to open them again NOW.
- If you won’t take someone in at least buy them some food.
- If they have a job and a way to get to a gym, buy them a membership so they can shower regularly. Let them know that truck stops and KOA camps sell showers.
- If they have skills, hire them when you can.
Federal Judge William H. Yohn Jr. released a 56-page opinion blocking
Mayor Michael Nutter’s ban on feeding the homeless in public spaces
but within hours of Yohn’s preliminary injunction on Friday, Nutter’s administration
filed notice of appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Innocents in Prison
Our American prisons are full of innocent people and political prisoners. If we don’t want to be next we need to get these people released. One place to see the evidence and act is The Innocence Project.
- “Amnesty International considers Leonard Peltier to be a political prisoner… Amnesty International believes that Leonard Peltier should be immediately and unconditionally released.”
MUST READ >> what is wrong with the U.S. legal system and how it could be reformed to work better: The Law Enforcement Growth Industry by George Gordon
Swat Teams Raiding Homes and Businesses
- SWAT Team Raids Ohio Co-op
- Police Raid Rawesome Foods, Dump Raw Milk
- Police Destroy Organic Farm in Massive SWAT Team Raid
- Right to Food.org
- Food Rights Network
- Real Food Rights
- Food Rights Alliance (Canada)
- The Bovine (Canada)
- Action Aid Food Rights
- Exceptional information on Hunger in America at FeedingAmerica (@FeedingAmerica on Twitter) – special thanks to North Texas Food Bank for this addition. This site includes statistics (1 in 6 Americans go without food at times already) and a hunger map that shows how many in every U.S. County don’t have enough to eat and what it would cost to feed them.
- WorldHunger.org Hunger in America: 2012 United States Hunger and Poverty Facts
- CityHarvest.org (@City_Harvest on Twitter)
- West Texas Food Bank
- North Texas Food Bank (@ntfb on Twitter) – Regular donation page ~ PayPal donation page
- Open Door Experience (the one in the video above) ~ Credit card donation page
- Food Bank of Central New York ~ Click Donate above the video for their PayPal donation page
- Want your favorite food bank included here? Leave me a link in the comments and I’ll move it up into this list
Stop Debtor’s Prisons
Most Americans believed that debtor’s prison – putting someone in jail who could not pay their debts – were made illegal decades ago. Collection agencies and government programs desperate for money have found a way to make an end run around imprisoning people for the debt itself and have them thrown in jail for “contempt of court” for failure to pay fees or fines.
- Daily Kos: Being Poor is becoming a Criminal offense (Updated July 7, 2012)
- ACLU: In For a Penny: The Rise of America’s New Debtors’ Prisons
Think it couldn’t happen to you? What about a medical emergency bill you don’t pay? l Think again:
How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn’t pay a medical bill — one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn’t owe. “She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn’t have to pay it,” The Associated Press reports. “But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs.”
Stop Asset Forfeiture
Across America (and probably elsewhere around the world) people are having their cash, vehicles and assets seized without being charged with any wrongdoing. Unless they have the resources to wage a protracted legal battle they never get them back. As the size of law enforcement and government grows and tax revenues shrink due to the economy, taking people’s property to pay salaries and cover overhead is getting more common and the methods used are more aggressive. This is unconstitutional and just plain theft.
I’m sure you have seen all those auctions promising vehicles and real estate for pennies on the dollar. That property was STOLEN from your fellow humanity. Almost none of it is actually taken from anyone doing anything illegal. You and yours are likely to be next if we don’t put an end to this! Support these organizations working to reform asset forfeiture:
- Americans for Forfeiture Reform
- Downsize DC: End Asset Forfeiture
- ISIL.org: THE LOOTING OF AMERICA ~ How over 200 Civil Asset Forfeiture Laws Enable Police to Confiscate Your Home, Bank Accounts & Business Without Trial
Stop Arcane Foreclosures
Did you know that even if your house or land is totally paid for that it can be taken away from you and auctioned off? Many are losing their homes because they could not pay a utility bill or because of fines, fees, interest and penalties tacked onto small debts.
- Read their stories and see a video about cities intentionally driving utility bills through the roof to seize property.
- The Big Business Wall Street Won’t Discuss
- VIDEO: Land Grab in America
Governments are taking away our rights to water – something we MUST HAVE to survive:
- Man Jailed For Collecting Rainwater Begins Sentence
- Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water
Animal Rescues and Causes
- NetPosse / Stolen Horse International (SHI) – To a horse lover, horses are family – not livestock – and their greatest fear is their horse being stolen. Law enforcement was rarely helpful and the odds of recovery dismal – until Debi Metcalfe took what she learned in recovering her own stolen horse and turned it into an organization that actually recovers stolen horses, saddles, trailers and tack. Every horse lover needs to join NetPosse / Stolen Horse International (SHI) and learn what to do NOW to make sure if a thief hits them they know what to do. They have a huge network that immediately spreads the word the minute a theft report is filed. You can help spread the word online and off and share their Stolen Horse International Facebook alerts. They need volunteers and donations or you can support them by buying products from the new Netposse Store. [Note: Although they sell microchips and scanners, I do NOT recommend chipping any animal for privacy and health reasons. Chips do NOT deter theft. FreezeMarking is the best option. ~Gail~]
- Earth Day ~ While Earth Day is officially April 22, every day needs to be earth day.
While I know that many have had bad experiences with organized religion and churches and I respect each person’s beliefs, many of us have personal relationships with Jesus and believe following His example is the most important thing in our lives. Even some who have not decided to follow Him ARE following His example by supporting what He would have us do.
I put Jesus first in my life, but knowing that many aren’t ready to think about that just yet, He is not first on this page. Regardless of your own beliefs today, I encourage you to be tolerant of others and care as much about all people as you do for yourself. Remember that this life is short and we are not promised tomorrow, so you may want to make considering The Case for Christ a priority in your own life. ~ Gail ~
Connect: a Christ Centered Video Project – How the teachings of Jesus apply to our everyday lives. Please support this project on Kickstarter by clicking the link and pledging $5 and by spreading the word online.